Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sunday 4/5

60 Minutes

sixteenth note speed exercises, repertoire

Working to find the limit of my picking speed on a single string and across strings. I go by how accurate I am at gradually increasing BPM's. "Accuracy" includes:

time;

evenness of attack;

tone;

dynamic;

correct notes...

...along with how long and how easily I can maintain it. Noticing what my arm does when it gets stressed is also part of it. Right now, my frustration level with a single string is 80, and across strings is 66.

Once again, being able to access the quality of beginning rather than starting has been invaluable to me. Part of it is a notion of choice, andpart of it is an awareness of a larger present moment. As in, it's the same hand in the same moment when I'm not playing as when I'm playing.

Also went through some repertoire, including "Derailed", "Austurias", "Hope","Askesis", "Batrachomyomachy", and "Calliope".